Projects & Clients
geoscience consultancy (2016-2017)
Nordic Geo-Consult Norway office has performed a geosciences consultancy engagement with VBPR (Volcanic Basin Petroleum Research) in Norway, which was a mix between Technical and Sales assignment.
Through this consultancy project, Matar has performed Seismic Interpretation for the several P-Cable Multi-Client surveys in the Barents Sea in Norway, utilizing the most advanced Exploration workflows in Petrel, to identify potential Hydrocarbon leads and mature prospects covered by the P-Cable Seismic data. The targeted level was Jurassic (Stø Fm, Fruholmen Fm), and Triassic level (Snadd Fm). The study started from a regional scale, down to prospect level.
VBPR owns a large Seismic Multi-Client library both in Mid-Norway and the Barents Sea.
Project 1: P-Cable IBS17 Report - Seismic Well tie study
IBS17 is a multi-disciplinary integrated study of the Hoop and Bjarmeland Platform areas aimed at improving exploration success in the 24th round blocks. The shallow depth to reservoirs makes this areas ideal for interpretation using P-Cable high-resolution seismic data (water depth 400 meters, depth to the Stø Formation, the main reservoir interval from 138 meters (Alpha well) to 389 meters (Atlantis well) below sealbed.
Matar has performed the Seismic Well Tie part of the report, for all included wells in both the Hoop and Bjarmeland platform areas. This includes:
- Well correlation
- Check-shot and Sonic log calibration
- Phase and Frequency investigation
- Wavelet extraction from P-Cable data
- Synthetic Seismogram generation
- Full seismic well-tie investigation
- Seismic character definition
- Tie geological markers to Seismic Horizons
Project 2: Building technical sales kit
● Objective: Demonstrate the applicability of P-Cable seismic data.
● Scope: Investigate full suite of seismic attributes to capture the following,
- Stratigraphic features ( Channel Delineation - Stratal slicing)
- Hydrocarbon seepage
- Fault scarps
- Gas vents, hydrate mounds
- Collapsed depressions, sink holes
- Mass sediment movement
- Surface channels and reefs
- Depositional systems
- Structural elements (Fault pattern & Fracture system)
- Hydrocarbon Indicators
- Shiny technical sales presentation that triggers immediate sales
- Comprehensive Demo project & case studies
Project 3: P-Cable Interpreter's Guide
The goal of this recipe book “P-Cable Interpreter's Guide” is to assist Seismic interpreters to utilize the power of P-Cable seismic data seamlessly. This is done by providing clear and solid route of standard tasks to get the most out of P-Cable Seismic data; including work phases with recommended parameterization.
Table of Contents:
- Module 1 — Getting started
- Module 2 — Seismic Data Loading
- Module 3 — P-Cable Seismic Visualization
- Module 4 — P-Cable Amplitude Balancing
- Module 5 — P-Cable Preconditioning before Horizon Interpretation
- Module 6 — P-Cable Horizon Interpretation
- Module 7 — P-Cable Mapping
- Module 8 — Surface Attributes
- Module 9 — Surface Display Settings
Project 4: mapping submarine glacial landforms
Mapping recent glacial deposits and to investigate the effect of a paleo-ice stream on the paleo-seabed and the underlying glacial strata. Also, use the seismic attributes analysis to prove the link between ice-berg ploughing and sub-surface geology. Moreover, Corrugated ridges investigation.
This was joint work that led to several publications,
- EGU (European Geosciences Union) General Assembly 2017:
P-Cable 3D high-resolution seismic data as a powerful tool to characterize subglacial landforms and their genesis: A case study from the SW Barents Sea.
- Marine Geology (The premier international journal on marine geology)
Ice-stream dynamics of the SW Barents Sea revealed by high-resolution 3D seismic imaging of glacial deposits in the Hoop area.